Yunohost: self hosting data with affordable hardware

YunoHost is an operating system aiming for the simplest and user friendly administration of a server, and therefore democratize self-hosting, while making sure it stays reliable, secure, ethical and lightweight. It is a copylefted libre software project maintained exclusively by volunteers. Technically, it can be seen as a distribution based on Debian GNU/Linux and can be installed on many kinds of hardware.

With Yunohost communities can self-host their digital services: web, mail, chat, cloud… using affordable single board computers like Raspberry Pi or Olimex. It can be hooked to the internet or local mesh networks in the case of remote areas.

https://yunohost.org

Fascinating! Could be good to look into for the offline “field kit” builds of Terrastories. Thanks for sharing!

;D I see that Terrastories is a Dockerized aplication. Here the way to implement Docker using Yunohost.

Awesome! We need to revisit the whole offline workflow (last done in 2019, documentation here terrastories/SETUP-OFFLINE.md at master · Terrastories/terrastories · GitHub and here Instructions for Setting ATC NUCs · GitHub). The process is basically to set up a NUC computer with a Linux OS. On startup, the OS will automatically load Docker and Terrastories, and activate a WiFi hotspot through which connected devices can load Terrastories in the browser. That way you can just turn on the device and don’t have to do anything or connect a keyboard/mouse/monitor. This is basically a copy of the Portable OpenStreetMap workflow. Could be nice to set up on YunoHost! I’ll look at that in the future.

1 Like

Super! I’ll take a look to the links you posted. This hotspot feature is great. Mapeo would also benefit something like that but the truth is a mobile phone hotspot can do the job either so maybe not necessary. Awesome projects both of them :wink:

1 Like